Sunday, 5 April 2015

Fitness | Making Healthier Choices.

From an over indulgent Christmas 2014 to last month - teeny progress but a huge change in my legs and stomach.
We've all been there. We've all been on one those horrendous alcohol-fuelled benders followed by a large pizza from Chick-o-land on the way home and a nasty headache the next morning. As much as I hate to say it, this was how I spent the majority of my first year at university, trying to keep busy to stop myself from thinking about how much I desperately wanted to be back home in familiar surroundings in my nice, clean house with my parents there to help. 

Looking back now it was a terrible way to live and my body did not thank me for it. I constantly felt ill and run-down, I ballooned to what felt like the size of a whale and I was just generally so unhealthy. What made it worse was that after going on a big night out I spent the next day craving all the junk food and sugary snacks in the world. Team that with the fact that I could barely cook beans on toast and we have a serious problem here. 

Last year I made the conscious decision to start looking after my body properly. I learned to cook healthier things (aka. microwave packets of vegetables instead of pizzas) and, over time, have learned to make much healthier choices and feel so much better for it. Since choosing a healthier lifestyle I have gained so much. I've worked hard to get into shape and have finally felt body confident, I have realised just how much will power and determination I have and I have really surprised myself in terms of my fitness levels. Don't get me wrong I still fall off the wagon now and again, but generally I have come a long way from the days of eating micro-meals and junk food on a daily basis!

For today's post I thought I would share with you some of the changes I made to get in shape and to lead a healthier lifestyle, which is quite hilarious considering as you're reading this I am probably sat devouring my third chocolate Easter egg of the day (it's my cheat day, okay?!). I know that health and fitness is a massive thing now and while these may just seem like like the tiniest of changes, they really do make a huge difference!

1. Ditch the sugary stuff
Seemingly obvious, right? I have a massive sweet tooth and love biscuits, cakes, sweets, chocolates - nom nom nom - but over time I have cut them down dramatically and honestly the cravings go away. I can now go for weeks without candy and snacks and it makes such a difference. You don't feel sluggish and don't get that gross, sick feeling in your stomach after pigging out on a whole packet of biscuits. In place of those sweet snacks I opt for fruit (which is just as tasty) or some fresh yoghurt and it's so much more filling and much better for you too! Also, ditch those fizzy drinks. I now drink water or fruit juice if I really fancy something with a little taste.

Pretty views of my local river whilst out for a walk - clears the mind!
2. Go walking
Honestly, there is nothing better than a stroll out in the fresh air for your body as it gets your blood pumping, clears the head and just generally makes you feel a million times better. It's also great for stress relief, so those of you who are currently under exams/dissertation stress and in need of a little break head out for a little walk for an hour and just see how much better you feel. Did you know that walking for an hour burns almost 500 calories? It's great for weightloss and great for the mind too!

3. Join a gym class
Anyone else find the gym really boring? I absolutely hate going to the gym and slogging it out on the treadmill or cross trainer to burn calories. I literally move through the motions feeling bored and wishing the minutes away, so last year I started attending gym classes. I started by going to classes like Zumba and Legs, Bums and Tums with my mum and friends and since then have gone through the whole timetable at my local leisure centre! Now I attend a different class almost daily ranging from muscle classes where you do resistance training to circuits which is super intense and involves lots of running and intense cardio (burpies, anyone?). It's a great way to motivate you and to meet friends and honestly I am so so impressed with how my fitness levels have improved since attending. When I went to circuits the first time I had to do less than everyone else because I simply couldn't keep up and now I feel like one of the front runners, with even the instructor being impressed by my improvement!

4. Combine cardio with weight training
If there's one way for me to destress it's to do some resistance training. I absolutely love it! I never used to venture into the weights section of the gym as it was filled with muscle men grunting and staring at their reflection in the mirror but now it's my favourite part of the work out and leaves you with such a buzz! It can be nerve wrecking at first so I learnt different weight exercises to do through the gym classes and now do those in the gym on the days where I can't make it to a class. Weight training really tones the body and is vital for weight loss. It burns calories, boosts your metabolism and makes you stronger in terms of your physicality and your self-esteem. 

No carbs but so tasty!
5. Cut down carbs
I love carbs - pizza, bread, pasta, potatoes, cereal.. give it to me! As of September this year I decided to really get myself in shape and have really tried hard to limit the amount of carbohydrates I eat. I now eat them for breakfast - usually cereal or porridge for lots of energy - and normally have toast or a sandwich at lunch time because no matter how hard I try I just cannot give up bread. I rarely have them for my evening meal though and instead opt to have lots and lots of vegetables as they are so filling and don't leave me with that horrible bloated feeling afterwards. 

6. Get a decent night's sleep
I used to be so bad at this! I was practically nocturnal, going to bed at ridiculous hours and having to drag myself out of bed to be in university by 11 o' clock. Now though I am in bed and sleeping by 11pm/midnight and my body clock wakes me up by 8am most days so I can get up easily and am ready to start the day. Getting into this sort of routine has helped incredibly and I manage to be so much more productive with my day. It's amazing what a good night's sleep does for the body and mind!

7. Set realistic goals
When I first decided to start being healthier I wanted to jump from a size 10/12 to a size 8 in a week and, let's be honest, that wasn't going to happen! This left me feeling really disheartened and generally annoyed with the world and it wasn't until I realised that benefits come through after weeks of hard work that I started to make mini goals for me to achieve. It started with limiting myself to just a few sweets a day, then to twice a week and now to keep it up for as long as possible until I finally cave. I also try to hit my goals of walking 10,000 steps a day by using my Jawbone tracker and to not snack between meal times!

8. Be positive!
This mindset is fundamental for living a healthier life. I'll admit that I'm a worrier and get very anxious about things not going to plan and I can generally be a right Negative Nancy, but trying to de-stress, be calm and look at the brighter side of life has really benefited me greatly. I've gotten rid of people who cause me negativity in my life and I've just started to look at everything in a more positive light and you know what? I feel great!

9. Baby steps
Whether it's choosing to go for the new potatoes instead of chips whilst out for food with friends or walking to work instead of catching the bus, every single thing adds up and these changes will soon make a huge difference. Get up, get active and take each day as it comes and you'll be leading a motivated, carefree and positive lifestyle in no time.

These are just a few of the little changes I made to get myself in a much healthier state of body and mind and the results speak for themselves really. I'm in no way an expert but I have dropped from a size 10-12 to a size 8 (and that's over about a year as it's only been the past six months that I have really got my ass in gear) and feel so much more body confident. I also feel so fresh minded and have a more positive outlook on life. I do inhale a massive slab of chocolate fudge cake drizzled in custard now and again, but a little cheat won't hurt! Try these tips and see what you think! :)

How do you live a healthy lifestyle?
Lots of love, 
Jessie. xoxo
Twitter | Instagram | Bloglovin'

44 comments:

  1. Awesome! You're doing great! Keep up the good work!
    Tegan xx - Permanent Procrastination

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post is absolutely brilliant! A massive congratulations on all of your achievements- you're looking great! :) I really agree with you in terms of fitness classes - they've not only been brilliant at improving my fitness/health, but also have improved my mood and helped me to meet new people/friends. This post has made me more motivated to be healthier, but not today as I will be eating chocolate for every meal! :D xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Eve, so happy you liked it! :) yes, fitness classes are definitely fab - I love the ones they do in the leisure centre. Haha, I hope you enjoyed your chocolate! I ate so much I thought I was going to burst. Happy easter xxx

      Delete
  3. I was exactly the same at uni - drank too much, ate too much and lazed around too much! It was only in my second year I decided to join the gym and 'try' and eat more healthily. Your advice definitely works - little changes make a big difference! Leah xx

    http://leahpaige9xo.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's quite gross looking back and think of the damage we did to our bodies? :(( oh well, at least we're on track now!! xx

      Delete
  4. You can definitely see that you look more toned, great work! Not to say you didn't look good before because, you did. Useful tips, as soon as Easter is over I plan to get back on the fitness wagon :) xx

    www.kirstytalks.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kirsty! :) haha, that was after the whole Christmas binge.. Same here, i've eaten enough chocolate to last me weeks! xx

      Delete
  5. You look incredible lovely!!! Great advice too and great motivation for those wanting to get more into shape!! x
    Aisling | Aislings beauty bytes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aisling :) that means a lot! xx

      Delete
  6. I'm so glad you're feeling healthy and confident! It's the best way to be :) love your tips too, I definitely love fitness classes - so much more fun and easier!

    Hazel xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks lovely :) it definitely is! Yes and when you're booked in you have no excuses ;) xx

      Delete
  7. Ah AMAZING results Jessie! (Well done you!!). I've been doing some fitness/health posts recently too!

    Eltoria: http://eltoriasecrets.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Simone! :D I'll have to check them out xx

      Delete
  8. well done! such good results in such a small time frame! Love this post as I really really need to start caring more about my body xx

    That Girl Rhianna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you Rhianna! Make these little changes and you will be amazed by how great you feel xx

      Delete
  9. My first year at uni was ridiculous, I put on so much weight from all the wine! You're clearly a lot more committed than I was - I think that's a massive change for just a few months! x Rebecca - UK fashion blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think everyone goes through this time at uni - wine becomes our best friend haha! Thank you Rebecca :) xx

      Delete
  10. This is a great post - love point 9. I always tell other people that stress about 'falling off' the wagon to remember all the WINS they've had and focus on those :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :D Exactly! I sometimes beat myself up about a cheat meal but in moderation it's totally fine :) xx

      Delete
  11. You're gorgeous girl, so tiny! My problem is snacking and not eating meals properly. I work and go to uni and it's just super stressful so I reluctantly turned to food to comfort me. Fast forward a year and I've piled on 3 stone! I need to sort it out asap. First step, cut the crap and walk more! x

    Hannah x | hannatalks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you Hannah! Eek, snacking was a problem of mine too.. You can do it girl!! Good luck :) xx

      Delete
  12. Well done for your progress, you look fantastic! :) I've been on a health & fitness kick since the end of February (I've even managed to stay strong over Easter), so it's been so helpful to read someone else's tips too, especially from someone who has done so well! I agree with the weight training, it scared me at first but now it seems less scary! :)

    www.cakeydreamer.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sian! Well done you on not giving into temptation this weekend - I ate so much I was practically rolling around haha. Yes weight training is fab! xx

      Delete
  13. Thanks for leaving your link over on Twitter for me :) {I'm @LittleBeautyBug}
    I must saw I think everyone needs to read this post! I think you give great tips and great advice in ways that so many girls can actually understand! I also really love your writing style, its unique and fresh and I'm darn sure I'll be back to read more soon!

    Check out my blog?
    Krystal @ Little Beauty Bug | Bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Krystal :) that's really made my day! So kind, thank you :D xx

      Delete
  14. Looking good! I completely agree with baby steps. People start off going to the gym 5 times a week and wonder why they give up a week later...


    Casey - ATopsyTurvyBlog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Casey :) yes, you need to adjust to it slowly to receive the best results for sure xx

      Delete
  15. you look amazing! I totally agree with you, carbs are my favorite, but when I stop eating them the weight almost melts off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you Jess! I know, as soon as I eat loads of carbs I feel so bloated - it's not nice! xx

      Delete
  16. This is such an inspiring post and you have some great advice here! Congrats by the way, you've done so well and look beautiful xx

    www.chontellelouise.blogspot.com.au
    visit my blog if you like? x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Chontelle :) so happy that you like it xx

      Delete
  17. Really great post hun, I have to agree with many of your points. I’m going to start trying gym classes as I’m getting bored of slugging away at the gym. I’ve just started swimming again and really enjoying that at the moment :)

    Charlee XO | CharmedCharlee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Charlee! :) swimming is so good for you! Keep at it girl xx

      Delete
  18. Ohh you look amazing, but then you did to start off with lucky thing. I do need to start some form of exercise though, my fitness is horrendous!

    Annabel ♥
    Mascara & Maltesers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh thanks hun - still a long way to go but I'm getting there slowly! xx

      Delete
  19. This is really really inspiring, I'll definitely be following some of your tips soon!

    Natasha | www.ofthesaints.uk

    ReplyDelete
  20. Just followed your blog on bloglovin .. I had to, it's so awesome. Great job *Clapping Hands* keep on going
    Ps: Carbs are not bad BTW :/ (not the processed ones)
    makeupforlunch.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :) I'm talking about the stodgy white breads and pastas not the ones that you actually need for energy! :) xx

      Delete
  21. so glad you posted this! i totally feel you girl, my first year at university i did the exact same thing weekend after weekend and gained LOTS! also-YES to cutting back on carbs. i've officially cut back a LOT on carbs (or should i say my true weakness, sugar) for several months and im feeling great. excellent tips from a healthy mindset-i wish more fashion/beauty/lifestyle bloggers blogged about dieting/weight because we all know how much it consumes women and how high the expectations are for us.
    xx Sarah
    Russian Dressing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Sarah - that's a really lovely comment and it's really made my day! :) xxx

      Delete
  22. This is so inspiring! I'm on a mission to get more fit so it's great to see your progress!

    ReplyDelete

CUSTOM BLOG DESIGN BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS